[Noisebridge-discuss] laser cutter.... CNC plasma cutter for the boxshop

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:11:17 UTC 2009

This is another reason I have been pushing The Crucible to get one. I
think they would be the ideal "Greater San Francisco" location for such
a tool. Access to machines at The Crucible is possible via the "CREATE"
program, with some of the same disadvantages and advantages as TechShop,
and some different disadvantages and advantages. They are in a better
position to deal with ventilation issue. And, I think new classes built
on such a tool would quickly repay the investment.

However, they have no budget for an item right now.

But if any of you are on the board, or know board members, or are
otherwise empowered, drop a good word for my plan :-)

What other such communities can you think of? I'd love to have one at
The Shipyard (where I am currently) but I think maintaining such a
delicate machine will be too expensive here (or at the Boxshop for that
matter) unless usage was restricted in some way. All Power Labs (at The
Shipyard) has a CNC plasma torch, but it is theirs and only for use by
APL. Perhaps that is a model.

Just thinking out loud.

What if Noisebridge rented a container at The Shipyard or Boxshop and
installed the laser cutter there, for use by NB members? Would that be a
reasonable temporary solution to the ventilation issue until the HVAC
were installed at NB?

Michael