[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter!

Michael Prados mprados at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:17:21 UTC 2009

That's a very interesting idea about PCB fab- I tried to find
information on this, but it seems like the common technique is to use
a spray on mask (in these cases, just black spray paint), selectively
ablate the mask away with the laser, and then etch the board as you
would normally with ferric chloride or whatever:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/01/how_to_use_a_laser_to_etc.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41222

I'm not sure whether or not developing a photomask is harder then
precisely laser ablating the mask, but unlike the CNC mill method, it
does seem to still require a container full of nasty chemicals
(although maybe fewer containers full of nasty chemicals than
traditional photoetching.)

-Mike