[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth

grey artkiver at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:34:54 UTC 2009

> If you want Noisebridge to say "we will only accept donations with no
> strings attached" or "nothing may be stored in the space unless it is
> a donation", that's different. But the law requires you to give owners
> of stuff who had a reasonable expectation of being able to put it
> somewhere reasonable notification before you remove it from the space.
> And it doesn't allow you to simply destroy stuff that's on your
> property.

We have said from our first meeting in a physical location all donations of
property are just that, no strings attached.  I'm sorry you missed that
meeting, I'm sure the notes are on the wiki.  I think if someone puts things
on a hack shelf and then sees it being torn apart, they probably missed the
reasonable notification that it was a "HACK EVERYTHING ON THIS SHELF."

Can we please stop with ignorant or revisionist understandings of the space,
or notions that people are going to be utter assholes and intentionally
destroy personal property from people that's not in a designated area where
such things are explicitly marked as being intended just as such?

There's all kinds of hyperbole, and long email threads discussing things
that don't even exist are even dumber than long in person discussions
talking about hypothetical scenarios that aren't happening.  Again: STOP
SOLVING PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY HAPPEN.  That's been a motto from day 1.

In the meantime - we have a name for this thing called a DJ booth, is there
seriously an intention to have it set up as a DJ area?  I can help in this
regard.  I think it'd be fun, and topical.

-grey