[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Wed Sep 30 21:26:12 UTC 2009

I wanted to follow-up on your specific examples, the DSL modem & pony
storage problems vs. the flaming threads that have spawned.

The internet is hard to debug at NB, we don't use a standard consumer
Linksys style router, we have a mixture of wired and wireless segments
and active experimental projects like tunneling of 'real' IPs and IPv6.
Even an off-the-shelf network engineer might be thrown for a loop.
While the wiki has provided some overview of network setup, I propose to
have a visual 'step by step' diagram to debug failures or outages.  I'll
even offer to write up the text for this, placing it next to the DSL
modem and router.  This way R***n won't assume the solution is to
squeeze feces into an RJ12 port. </joke>

As for the pony problems, this service should been viewed as best
effort.  We have pieced together hardware, members who disagree about
the very presence of a shell server at the space, hacking incidents, etc
- however this a great learning resource too.  Folks shouldn't see pony
as a reliable and backed'up resource, members try their best - but we're
all volunteers and have natural moments of burnout.

As for securing of active personal projects and/or equipment; in general I
feel that anything brought to the space (short of a laptop or cell
phone, we hope) becomes common property.  I leave stuff to be utilized
or hacked, not to be stored or as an eDump collection site.  The shelfs
haven't scaled too well and leave very 'security' options - short of a
postit note (which should be enough for our 'do awesome' member
guidelines, right?) - maybe the proposed gym lockers are a better
solution, consistent size and a basic method of securement (yes yes, we
have lock pickers - but come on, is that very 'awesome' to jack someones
project or gear that was clearly 'labeled' as private) - thoughts?

--Matt