[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth

krux at thcnet.net krux at thcnet.net
Wed Sep 30 21:44:15 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth
>
> I wanted to follow-up on your specific examples, the DSL modem & pony
> storage problems vs. the flaming threads that have spawned.
>
> The internet is hard to debug at NB, we don't use a standard consumer
> Linksys style router, we have a mixture of wired and wireless segments
> and active experimental projects like tunneling of 'real' IPs and IPv6.
> Even an off-the-shelf network engineer might be thrown for a loop.
> While the wiki has provided some overview of network setup, I propose to
> have a visual 'step by step' diagram to debug failures or outages.  I'll
> even offer to write up the text for this, placing it next to the DSL
> modem and router.  This way R***n won't assume the solution is to
> squeeze feces into an RJ12 port. </joke>

As with humans, caffeine makes computer hardware work better.  A nice 2-liter
of mt. dew will work wonders.  Just pour it right in.

I would suggest labeling everything, and a nice network diagram showing the
physical and locial connections between things.  Avoids the problem of "where
does this cable go?"  Plus it gives someone the excuse to play around with
Visio/etc... i.e. coloring for network engineers.

Another good idea, is to save a copy of the configs in a known working state.

Of course I don't practice any of this on my home network.  Last time I poked
my head into the network/server closet under my stairs I think one of the
machines hissed at me from under a pile of knotted power, network, and av
cables and I quickly closed the door.

perl -e 's++=END;++y(;-P)}\n?k++=;<+xru}?print:??;'