[Noisebridge-discuss] Getting a piano for NB [drama]

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 05:37:34 UTC 2010

(Extra tag added to help sort David Fine's inbox.)

The act of actually blocking a consensus decision is something very rare
indeed and indicates that communication has completely broken down on a
subject.  This is why it should be a truly rare thing.

That process can break down at either end - generally if it comes to that,
the member who has the objection's voice is being ignored, although an
uncommunicative member suddenly throwing a block out without having
mentioned any objection in advance is an equivalent breakdown in
communication.  In short, it should be clear that everyone pretty much
agrees before we have something up for formal consensus.

This doesn't mean that you would stake your membership on an issue you
disagree with.  It does mean that you should be reasonable and considerate
of others' desires and needs, and most importantly time.  If you disagree
with something and can convince those who are supporting it that it's not
what we should do, then that's a reasonable outcome from this sort of
discussion.

With the example of the piano, those who think a piano would be a noise
problem and not in line with Noisebridge's objectives could probably, and
probably will, convince those (myself included) that think having a piano
around would be pretty neat that it would be more problem than value to the
space.

No threats are being made, no reputations are being staked, just a
thoughtful discussion on what's best for everyone.

But that has me thinking about maybe getting a piano in at the warehouse
where I live, if they're so cheap to come by.

Christie
_______
"We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17

The outer bounds is only the beginning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/