[Noisebridge-discuss] Contributions towards a electronic upright piano ($, stuff, time)

Sai Emrys sai at saizai.com
Sun Apr 11 22:22:08 UTC 2010

[moving to a top thread since this probably got buried]

After a couple recent conversations, it's decided that a few of us
will be getting an upright piano with good tactile feel, gutting it,
and wiring it up to an electronic piano for sound.

If you'd like to see this happen:
a) email me offlist saying how much money you'd contribute (some parts
will cost money, or could be upgraded significantly with a budget)

b) email me if you can contribute and/or have a lead on (e.g. knowing
people at a company that might donate) any of the following:
- an electronically good electric piano (i.e. we don't care about its
form factor or its keys)
- a tactilely good upright (i.e. we don't care about strings / tuning,
soundboard, or visual problems outside the keyboard itself)
- heavy duty tie-downs for truck transport
- good small parts for mechanizing the keyboard (i.e. little pistons
etc w/ high resolution to make it a player piano)
- driving out to test the feel of a piano in places other than the
east bay (and you have enough experience that you can tell the
difference in tactile quality)

Tentative plan without budget is to contact Korg for an electronic
piano donation and find a good-feeling piano that's just out of tune /
whatever for free on Craigslist. I'll also try contacting piano
manufacturers / retailers for donations, though that's probably less
likely to work out.

- Sai