[Noisebridge-discuss] Shaker/Incubator: May I get some help with mechanical construction

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Apr 29 02:26:33 UTC 2010

I'm working on building a shaker/incubator for e. coli and any samples. I'm
okay at digital hardware; I make my living at software; and I can get by on
some things. But, I'm pretty crap at mechanical stuff. I should have
listened more to my dad when he was building things [but I was playing with
my commodore instead] :(

I need to make a shaker/incubator. I see it as just a wheel with a metal
plate on top of it that moves in a circular plane, but doesn't spin (I'm
doing a crap job of describing this - those that have seen a shaker, could
you help me explain?)

I'd like it to have a small hood so that I can keep the inside a fixed
temperature. Ideally this would be:
* Take up the smallest amount of physical space possible (i.e., not too much
desk space, etc. since home labs are small)
* Be able to fit a few flasks inside.. a good rule of thumb, if an average
size mason jar will fit (maybe two), that's awesome)
* Cheap.. cheap.. cheap..

I need to be able to heat the internal space. I imagine the power for the
machine will be external AC controlled by a Relay from a boarduino with a
thermister (I have this part done except for finding a relay). There will be
two controls - the amount of shake and temperature.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a typical type of
container/enclosure that you can think of that can be repurposed? I thought
of a yogurt maker that I can sit on something that 'shakes/spins/moves side
to side'

Or, even better, anyone know where I can get a freebie incubator that I can
use?

Cheers,

Glen
--
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe