[Noisebridge-discuss] Shaker/Incubator: May I get some help with mechanical construction

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 04:39:56 UTC 2010

Yo -

So, are you thinking of an orbital shaker? If you absolutely need to stick
with the mason jar size, I think thats about all you can do, though there
are a lot of other options that are really simple and cheap if you can move
down to centrifuge tube (~25-50mL size). This video has a good many of
them...and some absolutely 80s-tastic bg music. Bust out the spandex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fleRRlwOS_w (on a side note, you can buy from
Daigger without having a corporate account!)

A few other ideas/suggestions for you from a guy who works as a bench
chemist in biotech:

I know its not as sexy as doing the hardware hacking, but you could just buy
a shaker table. Some are relatively cheap - when bio companies go under,
zany vulture companies come in and buy out all their shit at super discount
prices. There are a bunch that are local, but the place where I work
generally finds a bunch of stuff at Alliance in Santa Rosa (delivery is
included, but you do need to get over there to check the stuff out since
some may be really crapped up). They've got some shakers they are trying to
unload:
http://www.aaisolutions.com/products-lab-instrument-biotech-scientific-chromatography/index.cfm?SV=&Cat=Shaker

Additionally, DoveBid is used nation wide as sort of the eBay for technical
stuff. They also have a lot of complete shakers as well as components that
could make your hacking together of your own shaker much much much simpler:
http://www.go-dove.com/search/searchresults.asp?Query=shaker

Note that a large number of shakers can be purchased with heating blocks or
water baths internal to the unit so you incubation needs are simply and
cleanly taken care of. If you're going to build one, I would probably
suggest using something like a peltier heater since it will probably be
simple to implement and even simpler to control. A lot of places that build
incubators use that tech anyways.

One random question - have you thought about sterility?? If you're going to
try and grow some bugs at home you will undoubtedly contaminate pretty much
every other crop you make with some random bacteria and totally hose your
experiment. You probably want to consider hacking together some sort of "bio
area" that has a germicidal lamp in it so you can nuke those little
bacterial bastards: http://www.topbulb.com/find/germicidal.asp

Hope that helps -
Sean