[Noisebridge-discuss] Getting a piano for NB

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Tue Apr 6 17:52:39 UTC 2010

On 04/05/2010 10:18 PM, Mark Ellis wrote:
> How do we treat power tool use in the space when people wanna work in
> quiet? I think we should consider the piano the same way if not
> similar. It wouldn't be too hard to just inform people around that you
> plan to fiddle with the piano for a while and at that time someone can
> raise any objections they have.

A few differences between pianos and power tools:

Our shop provides resources and capabilities which would be
prohibitively expensive for most of its users to replicate at home.
Not so with a piano (they can apparently be had for free).

While someone is using a power tool, other people are welcome to make
other noise using other power tools for unrelated purposes.
Not so with a piano.

Power tools' noise is an incidental side-effect of their use, which is
usually only irritating for brief periods and thus is tolerated by
(nearly) everyone.
Not so with a piano.

I think John's suggestion is great - lets get an upright piano and
replace its strings with sensors!

~leif