[Noisebridge-discuss] Block over email for noise pollution

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Apr 9 01:55:21 UTC 2010

Ian Atha wrote, On 20100408 183515:
> Excellent point--exactly what I wanted brought up.
>
> Conversely, the same applies for an acoustic piano, no? If people are
> uncomfortable with the sound/noise an acoustic piano produces, it's
> only banable while they are in the space, right?

There's no "bandable" at Noisebridge. There is no security guard at the
door making sure what gets in is allowed. The state of "OK" in the space
isn't a yes or no. People have different comfort levels. If you feel
like someone is going past some boundaries while you're there, say
something, ask them to take your presence and preference into
consideration with what they're doing, come to a compromise.

Everyone is different. We're here, we share a space, we work together.
The notion of banning goes beyond the idea of working together, to
share. To ban is to simply state that this thing you want to do isn't
allowed here, you're the minority, please leave your ideas on how you
want to spend your time at the space at the door.

It's true we have setup some banned and blocks and boundaries in the
space. A good example is people using Noisebridge as a crash pad. This
was brought up at a meeting as "We want to _not_ allow people to do a
certain thing" and we agreed that was a good idea. This was not brought
up as "We _want_ to allow people to do a certain thing" and have that
get blocked. Take consensus on the extreme action, not the blocking of a
very simple act. There's a difference here.

Step back, let the space do it's own thing, it's been doing fine for the
most part thus far. Discussions like this scare away creativity.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net