[Noisebridge-discuss] Getting a piano for NB

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Apr 9 17:41:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM, davidfine <d at vidfine.com> wrote:
> For the time being I will block on any notion to bring an acoustic piano
> to Noisebridge. It's not a good use of the space. I'd support a digital
> keyboard because they can be played quietly, stored out of the way, and
> they provide a handy midi interface.

FWIW, I think that saying (or acting) "I will block" rather than
trying explicitly to reach a consensus decision through compromise (or
through, one might hope, figuring out how to hack the equipment to
work better for everyone) is a Bad Thing. In that respect, I rather
dislike this response.

However, I think that concerns for noise are perfectly reasonable and
something worth taking care of in one way or another. We discussed
several methods for doing so earlier in this thread.

One more to add to the prior list is to have a normal piano in a
soundproof(able) room... which actually is something that would be
Nice To Have for general recording purposes also. It would probably be
well combined with a greenscreen to be a general mini a/v studio. I'm
sure that this would be beneficial to a lot more people than just the
(piano) musicians amongst us.

However I know nothing about the construction costs (in time/money)
thereof; those of you who do, please speak up on feasibility.

Anyway, It seems like this comes down to a matter of money.

So: If you're willing to donate money to NB getting a piano, please
email me offlist saying how much you'd contribute. I'm presuming that
no funds from NB's accounts-per-se are available, but if that's not
the case, let me know.

Once I know what our budget is for this project, I'll propose for
formal consensus the best solution I can find that meets that budget.

Thanks,
Sai