[Noisebridge-discuss] Removing pages from membership binder

Hephaestus hephaestus at antipunk.net
Wed Aug 25 17:42:14 UTC 2010

Hey guys,

I discovered last night that we have no process for removing pages
from the membership binder if they're old or their membership gets
blocked. Our current process says if the name has been in the binder >
4 weeks it can be brought up for membership at any meeting, even if
it's been blocked in the past or is super old. I propose that we add a
process to remove pages from the binder if they've been blocked, or
have more than 10 check marks on them. Here's my reasoning:

1) If a person's membership is blocked, they can either accept that
decision, or re-submit their name for membership and wait another four
weeks before their name comes up for consensus again. This gives the
blocked person time to allay any fears that others may have about
their membership.
1.a) It also provides time for any parties interested in that person's
membership to express their concerns at any meeting in those four
weeks and limit the hassle and drama that could come from the name
coming up at a meeting without enough attendees to argue both sides.
(Sneaking the membership through by exploiting the process)
1.b) It also serves as a reminder that this person is still attempting
to join noisebridge, if indeed they re-submit their name for
membership.

2) If a membership application has been in the binder for 10
consecutive weeks without that person either attending a membership
meeting, or asking for a proxy to represent them, their membership
application should be considered expired and purged from the binder.
This relates to point 1a above, is good housekeeping, and helps ensure
names only come up for consensus if they're active in the space.

Please discuss and let me know how to improve these suggestions before
I submit them for consensus.

--
Heph