[Noisebridge-discuss] computer PSU questions - is 5.5V normal for 5V?

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Mon Aug 9 18:07:02 UTC 2010

What kind of a load does your "PSU tester" have? Does it make the PSU
deliver significant current (a good fraction of an amp or more?)

If you test a PSU voltage without a load (like with a voltmeter) it
may look flaky as most switching supplies need to deliver some current
for the output regulation feedback. But if it is doing that with a
load it does not sound happy and I would personally think twice about
hooking it up to anything valuable. A good switching supply should be
within a few percent of rated voltage under load, including ripple.