[Noisebridge-discuss] Collaborating on an open 80PLUS Gold ATX Power supply design (Was: Re: computer PSU questions)

Alex Perez aperez at cooliris.com
Mon Aug 9 19:39:50 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM,
> <travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org> wrote:
>> Just wondering what the tolerances are.  I had a 550W PSU that was
>> making the system act flaky.  Hooked it up to PSU tester and it's
>> bouncing randomly from 5V up to 5.5V, and 3.3V is bouncing around up
>> to 3.5.  The other lines (12V) are rock solid.

This is veering into offtopic-but-related territory, hence the subject
line modification...

I am interested in knowing if anyone here would like to collaborate on
an open source, build-it-yourself "80 Plus Gold" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS#Efficiency_level_certifications
  ) power supply PCB design. I'm no longer a noisebridge member, as I
live in the Mountain View area, but collaborating on-line and in-
person occasionally would work fine. Given that the price of even the
cheapest 500+ watt 80 Plus-certified PSU hovers around $100 USD, I
think there'd be an interesting following of folks who have bad PSUs
and don't want to shell out that kind of cash for a replacement. Since
many semiconductor manufacturers provide reference PCB designs for
their 80Plus ATX PSU components (NXP, nee Philips, is one which comes
to mind, that I've found, but I'm sure there are others)