[Noisebridge-discuss] computer PSU questions - is 5.5V normal for 5V?

Rameen emprameen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 05:55:56 UTC 2010

I just tested my PSU with my multimeter not too long ago. I set it up on two
or three fans, and a harddrive. I noticed that some of the output voltages
were possibly .2 off, but it was consistent through-out each respective
pin-out, and I didn't note it bouncing very much. They generally stayed at
the voltages of the random resource I was using for molex pin-outs. Just to
be clear, though, I never had any known problems with the PSU.

 Generally if the motherboard reads good voltages, it supplies the PSU with
a voltage (I think it's the green wire?) which keeps the PSU running. Often
times the BIOS on your system will also give you voltage read-outs if you're
able to acquire those for real-time measurements. Not sure what state your
system is in... Ultimately, I'd suggest running your system with a good PSU
and see how that goes. Otherwise maybe the manufacturers have some advice
about the power supply if they're willing to share?