[Noisebridge-discuss] net neutrality support group?

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Thu Aug 12 06:22:12 UTC 2010

The EFF has a good writeup of the proposal here:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/08/google-verizon-netneutrality

If anyone hasn't read the proposal yet:

http://tinyurl.com/38ubkd5

Their main points are:

1) It's good to limit the FCC to only dealing with consumer protection
on a case-by-case basis, which would prevent the FCC from coming
up with something like an "internet decency law" like there is for public
television.

2) The suggestion for a standards setting body to set the rules of
"reasonable
network management" is interesting, but could suffer from the same problems
of corporate and political bias as do things like DRM.

3) Google+Verizon's definition of "Reasonable Network Management" is very
vague and needs to be refined to prevent abuses. It's not clear if
"Reasonable
Network Management" would allow a company like Comcast to block bittorrent.

4) Limitation to net neutrality principles for "lawful" content, when
"lawful" is
hazy and prone to abuse from companies for things like copyright law.

5) Almost no net neutrality protection for mobile networks - which is an
obvious
and very serious issue.