[Noisebridge-discuss] Flattr micropayment system - possible revenue for Noisebridge?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Aug 21 19:24:16 UTC 2010

On 8/19/10 9:54 AM, Josh Myer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Rameen <emprameen at gmail.com
> <mailto:emprameen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     How do we go about setting up a local micropayment system?
>     Doesn't make sense that we have to pay middlepersons for other
>     people's donations and payments, however convenient the methods.
>

> Err, it does.  The only free ways to accept money are cash, and,
> depending on your bank, checks.

The cost of processing checks is borne one way or another by the parties
involved. the actual cost of processing them has gotten rather lower of
time has the humans have been removed from the equation.

features one looks for in a payment system (atomicity, non-repudiation),
and the one's that generally get bolted on (identity, fraud protection
etc) are non-trivial to provide.

cash does atomicity and non-repudiation fairly well actually.