[Noisebridge-discuss] Audio data transfer protocols that work over VOIP

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Aug 25 03:34:42 UTC 2010

On 8/24/10 7:28 PM, Sai Emrys wrote:
> For a project I'm working on, I'd like to encode some fixed data in an
> audio stream that is routed over both VOIP and POTS.
>
> What protocols can handle the normal degredation that happens in VOIP
> & other noisy channels?

since you metioned the pstn the answer is generally g.711. since zero
conversion/loss will occur "transcoding" for the pstn.

Of course what it sounds like you actually want is a wideband audio
codec so that you have more samples and much wider voice band and higher
dynamic range.

if you actually don't care about the pstn g.722 or speex can be much better.