[Noisebridge-discuss] evil genius bioengineering project

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Aug 27 21:48:03 UTC 2010

> I always wanted to do that, but don't have the time, so I figured I'd
> pass that along.  I don't know if I'd recommend having it in the
> space, even properly labelled, but that's not my call. ;-)

I handle e.coli very safely -- and I'm in an environment with
immune-suppressed individuals. There are many different strains of e.coli,
and everyone immediately thinks of the more dangerous strains instead of the
more common strains used in a laboratory... I have a few safe strains that
we can use.

We've never brought e.coli into the space but have been working on an
incubator kit to better grow the medium, but we don't have a shaker.
Regardless, we could do some very simple growth on plates that I make (I use
glass plates and auto-clave afterwards as well as an extra safety
precaution).

You should know the DIY bio group tried to do a joint venture with
Noisebridge and it didn't really work out. So, we may want to be a bit
sensitive to any fears that people have (regardless of how  founded the
fears are). We want everyone to feel safe in the space.

Cheers,

Glen
--
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe