[Noisebridge-discuss] evil genius bioengineering project

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Aug 27 21:41:04 UTC 2010

There's a DIY bio group that does a lot of this fun stuff. (Look for one in
Mountain View on Meetup.com)...

I haven't done much synthetic biology (I work in a biology lab at UC
Berkeley - but it's dry lab stuff), but I've been working up to PCR and
eventually this type of syn-biology. So, I'm very interested in this kit. I
don't even want to look at it today, however, because I'm incredibly short
on both money and time, and it'd make me miserable to know there's something
cool that I can't buy :(

Glen

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM,
<travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org>
> wrote:

> So this has no relation to the Evil Genius book series, but I have a
> book titled "Fantastic Electronics" that has a project involving gene
> splicing.
>
> The kit was (last I checked) available from Carolina something
> something (carolina.com) and is called the "E-Z Gene Splicing and
> Genetic Recombination Kit".  How could you not like that?
>
> It's actually a really common procedure among bioengineers, and before
> you get all paranoid, please understand you all already have lots of E
> Coli inside of you.  A few strains are pathogenic, mostly to people
> who are old, very young, or have weakened immune systems.  Obviously,
> you should do your homework and read up on safety before starting.
>
> I always wanted to do that, but don't have the time, so I figured I'd
> pass that along.  I don't know if I'd recommend having it in the
> space, even properly labelled, but that's not my call. ;-)
> --
> It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys
> My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get
> blacklisted.

Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe