[Noisebridge-discuss] Need info on upgrading a WiFi antenna for a robot - how does it connect?

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 03:55:56 UTC 2010

I'm in the midst of making some significant changes to a robot, which
currently has a built-in WiFi antenna. I'm planning on replacing it with an
antenna from a decommisioned router. I'm planning on taking the RP-SMA jack
and antenna from the router and mounting it on the robot.

The antenna connector is coax, which implies that there are two wires in it,
right? However, the wire going from the WiFi chipset in the robot to the
built-in antenna only has one conductor, as far as I can tell. It connect to
motherboard using one of those little snap connectors, the ones that look
like half a 12V battery connector but a lot smaller.

My question is embarrassingly simple. How do I connect it to the new
antenna? Does the outer part of the coax go to ground, and the inner part of
the coax connect to the antenna cable from the robot?