[Noisebridge-discuss] Death and Taxes

Al Jigen Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Wed Dec 22 20:08:37 UTC 2010

I don't want to detract from the desire and ability of Noisebridge
members to get a handle on the monetary issues there. I do want to point
out to people mentioning Hacker Dojo in Mountain View (which is a
wonderful space, I must say) that if you're looking for a NB
alternative, you don't need to go to Mountain View. Ace Monster Toys
(http://www.acemonstertoys.org) is over in the East Bay in the North
Oakland/Emeryville/Berkeley triple point area. We have a fairly recently
opened (August) 1,600 sq ft space. Ask Shannon, Dr. Jesus, or Rachel
about us as the three of them are core members.

Similar to Hacker Dojo, we run on a membership model in that the public
can come to open events, as a guest of a member, or during open hours
but, otherwise, we are not open to non-members walking in off the
street. Because Noisebridge is a completely open space, we haven't felt
a need to fulfill that niche. We also run on a traditional non-profit
model where the members elect a board and the board appoints officers.
Dr. Jesus, Shannon, and I are all on the board with Dr. Jesus being
chairman and Shannon being our current president.

Feel free to e-mail me, show up in #acemonstertoys on Freenode, or take
a look at our website if you want to know more. I only read digest here
so I won't get on-list questions in real time and it is probably an
inappropriate distraction to have a long discussion on AMT on the
Noisebridge list.

Al