[Noisebridge-discuss] TrueCrypt full disk w/ GPT

Sai sai at saizai.com
Thu Dec 23 03:05:34 UTC 2010

In preparation for my flight to 27c3, I'm locking down the laptop I'm
bringing with me, which is a multi-boot machine with GPT based
partitions.

The trouble is, AFAICT, GPT requires an EFI system partition at the
front of the drive, and TC requires "at least 32k" unassigned space at
the front for its own bootloader.

My current setup is a 32GB Win7 partition about 600MB in, the EFI
system partition (~200MB) at the front, with 400MB slack space in
between and plenty of unassigned space after. (I completely blew away
the other partitions, since I only recently completely wiped this
computer anyway and hadn't really set them up; I figured it'd be
easier to just redo them after I use TC's encrypt-in-place option
under Windows. And yes, I hate Windows too; hush and tell TC to
provide system level crypto support for other OSes. :-P)

All tools I've tried to move the EFI system partition over have
failed, as has my googlefu. AFAICT TC's user guide is silent as to how
to prepare the partitions to meet its requirements under GPT.

Any advice on how I can get this to work?

Thanks,
Sai