[Noisebridge-discuss] misc FPGA questions

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Sun Dec 26 02:22:22 UTC 2010

Hola noisebridge-discuss! A long time ago I used Symphony-EDA
to debug an FPGA:

http://www.symphonyeda.com/

Some day I'd like to buy an FPGA and play around with it, but
they seem to cost like $500+. I don't really know much about them,
and was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions:

1) Are there free, open source IDE's available for writing code
for a FPGA?

2) Where can I buy an FPGA cheaply? What is "cheap" for an FPGA?
I want to use them for parallel processing, mostly for prototypes,
and don't really care how much power they consume. I need a
starter FPGA (which I will probably break) to learn the ropes.

3) Does anyone know FPGAs enough to teach a class in it? I'd be
into some sort of knowledge exchange or maybe a donation to Noisebridge
in return for an "Introduction to FPGAs" class.

Thanks!

 mike