[Noisebridge-discuss] Broadband in SF: Comcast or Sonic?

L E lexein-esc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 22:55:10 UTC 2010

I know it's hard to believe, but ATT (formerly SBCglobal, Pacbell) ADSL has
worked well for me for nearly 13 years.  I'm not experiencing any port or
protocol restrictions.
*Currently getting 5-6Mbps/768kbps consistently at 10,000 feet loop length (wire
distance) from

the C.O. @ $40/mo.
*At installation time in 1998, in this old building, there were interferer
issues which kept ADSL from working reliably for about three weeks: bad wiring,
noisy splices, and a line multiplexer.  Since then, reliability has been good,
except for the outages.
*Outages - 4 total, the worst was 3 days. There were  two cable vault fires, and
two Redback rewirings which took out service  for two days.  For those outages,
I either used dialup service (included, free) or piggybacked onto a
neighbor-across-the-street's  cable-based wireless -with permission- for the
duration.
*Started in 1998 with a static IP, but in 2004 switched to dynamic IP service
for speed and cost reasons. DynDNS have provided good-enough dynamic DNS service
for my needs, and my  Tomato-based router updates reliably whenever the IP
address  changes.

*I'm planning to upgrade my upstream speed with either a switch to cable or with
tandem  1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps SDSL early in 2011.  Wireless service is just too
expensive for my budget.
*By comparison, a longtime friend has jumped ship frequently. His story: "I've
been very happy with Raw Bandwidth since Jan. 2002.Here's a list of some of the
other ISP's I've used:

RCN very good
DNAI excellent
SLIP.NET sucked
NETCOM really sucked
PACBELL really really sucked
CONCENTRIC really sucked
METRICOM pretty good "

If money is a concern, the current ATT ADSL Elite (3-6/768) offer is $20/mo for
new subscribers, for a full year.http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10891

This is all silly, of course, since FIOS is available - just not here in the
city.