[Noisebridge-discuss] glowsticks (UV-Reactive Oil)

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 23:47:20 UTC 2010

Glowstick chemistry is just 3 ingredients:
* hydrogen peroxide
* cylalume (a trade name for diphenyl oxalate)
* colored dye

Hydrogen peroxide is cheap, about a gallon for a few bucks.
Cyalume and dye aren't all that expensive, either.
All ingredients are non-toxic.
Cyalume numbs you up a bit if it comes in contact with your skin.

If you can control the release of the peroxide to mix with the cyalume
for timing of the reaction, that's a much better visual effect than
anything else you can conjure.

Patrick