[Noisebridge-discuss] Should NB mirror WikiLeaks?

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 23:26:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Josh Berkus <josh at agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/10 2:32 PM, Christoph Maier wrote:
>> Ummm, stupid question:
>> Isn't the question rather whether noisebridge should _announce_ that
>> it's mirroring wikileaks?
>
> This doesn't seem like useful PR for wikileaks to me.  NB is a bunch of
> countercultural hackers, so the fact that we support wikileaks is not
> persuasive to others.  If you could get, say, Google or the NRA to
> mirror wikileaks, *that* would turn heads.

I wasn't thinking so much about PR in the sense of advertisement,
but about deniable communications.

References about it that show up in this forum or on twitter are noted
and appreciated
(keep them coming, Jake!),
because they are excellent pointers, e.g. for software challenged
hardware geeks, where to start looking,
now that the importance of secure, deniable communication has become
painfully obvious.

The tradeoff for noisebridge is between being a forum for free speech,
or becoming active _as_an_organization_,
and possibly endangering its existence as a much needed forum
and the place you can, more or less discreetly, find the folks to give
you clues how to set up mirrors, etc.,
in case you don't know already.

Christoph