[Noisebridge-discuss] Should NB mirror WikiLeaks?

mfburdett at gmail.com mfburdett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 23:33:56 UTC 2010

I don't think the IRS 501(c)3 regulations should be a particular cause
for concern re: supporting WikiLeaks, as long as WikiLeaks isn't
campaigning for or against political candidates.  on the other hand,
politicians' calls for Assange to be executed may be a cause for
concern.. or a call to action, depending on your point of view.. :)

There are many "activist" media outlets with an "agenda" that maintain
their 501(c)3 status. For example, Pacifica Foundation (KPFA) has a
lot of political programming and an organization-wide political slant
while following the 501(c)3 rules.  There are also many conservative
501(c)3 media outlets.

indymedia.org is another example. it has a 501(c)3 umbrella
organization and created a wikileaks.indymedia.org DNS entry a few
days ago.

--mark