[Noisebridge-discuss] warflying

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Dec 16 02:51:58 UTC 2010

On 12/15/10 5:38 PM, travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org wrote:

> I'm also wondering if the GPS data will be useful if I'm aiming out
> a window, since I'll actually be picking up an antenna somewhere
> different.  Maybe if I had an antenna pointing down... but as Dr. J
> pointed out, dipole antennas used on WAPs have a donut-shaped
> footprint.

the common factor is time e.g. we flew this pattern, at interval t the
following ap's were visible. yeah you care about the footprint of your
antenna but only so much because you don't know the footprint  of the
radio whose beacon you've recived.

if you intersect the beam of antenna that's only 2 degrees wide you
might conclude you're right on top of it when in reality it's in
fremont, but pointed at a mountain top.

most of the patennas on the ground will be dipoles or patch atennas.
while the pathc antennas are diverse the dipoles should have limited
propigation in the vertical plane by design.