[Noisebridge-discuss] recyclebridge

Frank Hausman fhausman at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 16 16:41:43 UTC 2010

(rejected by listserver, resubmitted with smaller pix and slightly rephrased to
address Patrick's question)
Two approaches to this:

1. De minimus: obeying the law is enough. "Proper,"  according to the 2009 SF
trash ordinance, is discussed here.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-06-10/news/17207992_1_bins-fines-composting
As  long as there are three bins, green (compost), blue(recycle), and
black(landfill), and they're properly filled according to the law, then NB  will

avoid being fined (for cans in the black bin, plastic in the green bin,  etc).
 http://sunsetscavenger.com/residentialCompost.htm
 http://sunsetscavenger.com/residentialRecycling.htm
 http://sunsetscavenger.com/residentialLandfill.htm

 2. Doing  better is excellent.
 "Proper," per the principle of  reduce-reuse-recycle, does call for separation
of

 recyclables, and further  separation can indeed make some fiscal sense.
 According to  NexCycle,
 Aluminum: 1.55000¢     Glass: 0.10500¢      Plastic: 0.91000¢
 Those are pennies, or portions thereof.
 So the "REDEEM" bin or garbage can should be a distinct color, and maybe have a
round hole in

 the lid.  Only drink containers labeled "CA CASH REFUND" or "CA CRV" or the
like

 should go in there.
 The following redemption places may want plastic & aluminum  separated:

 NexCycle
 4950 Mission St.   (cross street: Italy Ave.)
 1245 S Van Ness Ave

Sources
 http://www.nexcyclecalifornia.com/zipresults2.php
 http://www.bottlesandcans.com/dev/locator.cfm but