[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Board Elections 2011

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Dec 16 19:43:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 08:01:06AM -0800, jim wrote:
>    this voting business seems distasteful. last
> year there was a little discussion that included
> the suggestion of randomly picking board members:
> i like that a lot, kind of like the way we got
> our president--worked great!

Agreed, it's worked out OK.

>    is there any reason why we can't just draft
> members in good standing and let them object if
> they don't want to be board members?

In general I think that would be pretty cool if we could work out the
kinks.

One kink that comes to mind: We don't require that board members be
voting members; this year we've had one non-member boardmember, and I
think that's worked out well, too.

The other possible objection is, US (and California) corporate law
*really* wants corporations to be democratic and majoritarian (although
the "majority" can be defined in odd ways, by share for example).  We'd
probably have to investigate the law to make sure we don't Do It Wrong.
In particular, the standard election process is specifically designed to
implement some security features that our consensus process doesn't
have; and, implementing a process that lacks those features may pose
problems for us.

-andy