[Noisebridge-discuss] warflying

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Dec 17 05:10:27 UTC 2010

On 12/16/10 5:14 PM, T wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:56, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com
> <mailto:joelja at bogus.com>> wrote:
>
>     Narrowing the beam width isn't really that useful for the war flying
>     exercise. ...
>

> I don't know that's true.  With an omni or a wide beam you will only
> pick up the loudest stations with little discrimination of position.
>  With a tighter lobe you will have less frequency conflict and more gain
> and thus pick many more stations.

certainly co-channel interference is a big deal, but biasing for to
narrow a beam means your sweep covers a much lower area per pass. if
it's too narrow you have to a do a lot more work and the advantage
confered by using an airplane is lost and you might as well drive down
every street.

> BTW, if OP is looking for a cheap solution, I've purchased USB 802.11bg
> devices integrated 10dbi patch antennas at Fry's for $10-$20 in the
> past, and you could certainly run several at once... having multiple
> offset lobes will let you hear beacons that would otherwise be drowned
> out by others on the same frequency...

ubiquiti has some new usb client devices that look cool, but which I
haven't tried yet.