[Noisebridge-discuss] Reporter from Mission Local last Thursday night asking about Julian Assange

mfburdett at gmail.com mfburdett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 04:09:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the future, it might be a good idea to simply say "I'm not really
> comfortable speaking on behalf of Noisebridge" and refer press people to
> press at noisebridge.net. It's pretty easy to tell when you're talking to
> press, as they're required to identify themselves, usually by "Hey, I'm Tim
> from Indymedia" or something. The key is to not be afraid of them, because
> most of the time they're just doing their job.

It's standard practice for reporters to identify themselves but there
is something called undercover journalism.. see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly#Asylum_expos.C3.A9
Sadly, these days I wouldn't be surprised if a reporter was tasked
with "infiltrating" a hacker space, while more worthwhile targets go
uninvestigated..

--mark