[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge: Death and Taxes

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:24:32 UTC 2010

Hey Patrick, we do occasionally need to cover those windows because the late
afternoon sun slants through them pretty intensely. It is intense enough to
cause heat damage to objects in the area, for an example see the
no-longer-flat cutting mat used for cutting out pattern pieces. Warped by
the heat of the sun. At certain times of the day this low directional light
is so intense it is a real safety hazard in that it obscures actual
visibility by blinding anyone who is working within ten feet of the windows.

For anyone who is eager to work on lights, but unaware:
It is also really important to have adequate lighting in any work area, be
it soldering, sewing, cooking, or woodshop. Sewing your finger, or chopping
it with a rotary tool or kitchen knife, hurts just as much as hitting it
with a hammer.  These lights are not extraneous, and often must be on during
daylight hours if people are Doing Things.

I had actually heard much higher numbers for our power bill, I am surprised
that it hovers sub $1000.  Regardless, I don't think simply eliminating
lights is a real solution here.  Often old fluoros can simply have their
ballasts replaced with newer ballasts to become far more efficient.
Researching this and spec'ing the parts would be a great help if anyone had
some free time for it.  City Lights in soma is a really helpful industrial
supplier. If you go around the side on 12th street there is a contractor's
counter that IME is much more helpful than the ladies in front trying to
sell fancy home fixtures.

mediumreality.com