[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge propaganda - a tri-folder flyer

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:13:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Patrick Keys <citizenkeys at gmail.com> wrote:
> "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."
> That should be the new noisebridge motto.  j/k.

> The larger discussion seems to be thinking outside the box for new ways
> to raise and manage money.

One of the things about Nb that excites me is the online organization
around a physical space. I think we're missing out on innovation if we
don't create tools that exploit these qualities and instead go along
old routes of promotion by creating things like dead tree waste.

The essential use of a flier at present is for people who don't have
other media to connect and find out what's happening at Noisebridge,
or what Noisebridge is.  More and more people do have online access
and I don't want to prevent anyone who doesn't from finding out about
Noisebridge, so a flier may be appropriate.  Even so, fliers are often
trashed after the necessary info is extracted or isn't found at all.

Folks at Noisebridge have reduced some mailing/paper waste by ordering
stickers that include physical location and the Noisebridge webspace
info around the logo.   It's enough info for people who have some way
of connecting to the internet but doesn't catch those who don't.
Working on a pamphlet may address anything the stickers are missing,
but I am interested in other related projects.

I'm thinking of promotion-related projects that cross over between
online spheres and the physical world, or old work with fashioned
skill sharing.  See the following for a sampling:

1)Are there ways to improve the way that QR codes complement
interaction between the web and the physical world?

2)Are there kits that can be created that spread the word about
Noisebridge, while giving people a real skill and value that isn't
easily discarded (tv-be-gone kits and volksduinos do this big time).

3)Is there a way to get the Noisebridge wiki simplified and reliable
so people don't get lost in its sea of scrolling mutability
(specifically w/r/t noisebridge bylaws versus best practices or ways
to contribute)?

4)get FOSS and FOSH projects to use noisebridge for IRL meetups (we
have iphone and android developer meetups every week but NO FOSS
meetups announced on the wiki after a year at 2169?!)

5)see if coders who use noisebridge to make FOSS software support
noisebridge with a comment in their code:  > '# written at
Noisebridge, 2169 mission street, SF

6)make 2169 a 27c3 Peace mission and interact with the upcoming 27c3 in Berlin?