[Noisebridge-discuss] [Noisebridge-announce] Noisebridge: Death and Taxes

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Wed Dec 22 02:47:19 UTC 2010

I think doing this would require also changing the hypothetical rules
from "everyone has a veto"* to some sort of voting situation.

* Yeah yeah, I know the whole consensus spiel. It's nice in theory,
for smaller groups. But be honest, it's hypothetical at best; honest
consensus/negotiation/deescalation ain't how it actually works here.

I also think that there are enough die-hards, with vetos in the
current system, that there is no way in hell it will ever happen. I
don't see a solution to that, other than to completely deprecate
membership, which I think is a poor "solution".

preemptive 'cause if I don't I'll get jumped on: No I don't think that
everything should be done by the rules. In fact I think they're barely
relevant.

But I also think that they represent the culture - in this case a
confrontational perversion of consensus - and are the primary reason
that I am the only person to ever have been denied membership.
(Because people had ideas about what I might veto, and thus that
allowing me to have it [by being a member] would endanger the
functionality of process. Which I find terribly ironic/amusing/sad.)

- Sai