[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

TeeTrizZz info at leyenhaft.de
Thu Dec 23 01:22:38 UTC 2010

I fully agree - in every single point.

Fabian

From: rachel lyra hospodar
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:18 PM
To: Jacob Appelbaum
Cc: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

I am pretty sure that at the meeting about sleeping in the space, we discussed missing BART as not being a very excellent reason to crash, since there are all-night buses and lots of other options.

I am also pretty sure that without some kind of concerted effort to pay attention to who is sleeping, there is no real way to know if they are people who just need a place to sleep (who could be redirected to resources that exist for that purpose) or people who are interested in noisebridge as a place to accomplish shit, who might happen to be taking part in a not-totally excellent activity. I would put email flaming nastiness in this same category, ie things that I occasionally tolerate without judgement from people who have otherwise redeeming qualities.

Without this effort taking place in person it will have little effect. Without it taking place electronically it will have little momentum.  Both are, to me, clearly necessary.

I will repeat what is starting to be my (other, safety being the first) noisebridge refrain: rather than commenting negatively on what has been done, I would like to discuss positively what could be done.

Jake, I have been in and out of the space for 6+ months and haven't met you there yet. Someone mentioned to me that you might live in seattle? If you haven't been around a lot lately then maybe you aren't aware of the extent of the problem.  I have done lots of harm reduction and have friends who are homeless and/or computer illiterate.  This is not about those things.  It is a heated discussion but at heart I believe it is about the same thing last night's meeting was about: a desire on many people's part to help steer our crazy ship constantly hackwards and anti-slackwards.

Some vaguely metaphorical things I thought worth saying to all:
-sometimes projects (indeed, and life) take longer than expected or leave a mess.
-sometimes we all forget something.
-the only way for the mess to be held at bay is if we all help each other clean it up.
-you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Vinegar might seem to punish those pesky flies but if your goal is to influence behavior the reward is proven to be more effective than punishment.

Sooooo,
IF we believe that passing out in a public location should be non-photographable in our community, let's brainstorm some other ways to have an online component to our Campaign Against Sleep.

mediumreality.com