[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Dec 23 06:09:18 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 08:19 PM, Moxie Marlinspike wrote:

> On 12/22/2010 08:29 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>>> Jake, I have been in and out of the space for 6+ months and haven't met you
>>> there yet. Someone mentioned to me that you might live in seattle?
>>
>> I've certainly been to Noisebridge many times in the last six months. I
>> do in-fact live in Seattle most of the time.
>
> It's probably more accurate to say that you've been to noisebridge "a
> few times" in the past six months.  The salient point is that there are
> people who really do spend a considerable amount of their time working
> on projects day-to-day at Noisebridge who are having trouble continuing
> to do that.  And that it's probably difficult for you to be able to
> understand the scope of that when you live in an entirely different city.

Perhaps.

I've been to Noisebridge more consistently than nearly any other place
in the last six months. :-)

I mean - I think I operate quite differently from you guys - Noisebridge
has always been a fucking chaotic environment to work in except when
we've had real points of unity on projects. Or if you buy some head
phones. Or if you close a door. Or if you can handle setting boundaries.

>> I don't think hacking and slacking are opposites. If you want to see
>> some hacking, hack the motherfucking planet already.
>
> If you were around more, you'd know that she already has.  =)

It was a bit of rhetoric. My point is that if you're busy being upset
about some person sleeping on a sofa and posting photos of them to the
wiki - you're very clearly not busting your tail on some project. If
someone is actively bothering you, I'd totally get it. Instantly.
Snoring sleepers? Annoying. Silent sleepers? Whatever.

> And unfortunately there are things about noisebridge which make hacking
> the motherfucking planet something you'd rather do somewhere else.

I think it would be awesome if you would list some of those here. I have
a really hard time getting upset about someone sleeping on a sofa. what
is the impact to me programming or reading? Perhaps that I can't sit on
the sofa?

I'd love to hear about other issues because some of them are really
probably something that does impact us all. It would be good to fix
pressing issues that push you away because you're part of the reason
that Noisebridge is such a fucking anarchist mess. You personally. :-)

All the best,
Jake