[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping in the Space AND Death and Taxes

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 20:08:59 UTC 2010

I'm curious who that is against restricting sleeping actually uses the space
as a workshop to you know, make things.
I feel like I'm one of the few who do, after being there at least 2 or 3
days of the week, it's mostly occupied by people not doing anything other
than playing video games and crashers. It's disheartening, and makes it a
shitty place to work.
Why does this suck? Because I want a workshop. I'm willing to work and help
keep up a workshop. A hackerspace. That's what I joined for. That's what we
are. I am not willing to put an iota of energy into noisebridge being a
place for people to crash.
Here's the clincher: *that doesn't make me a bad person. *I'm at noisebridge
to make things.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Al Jigen Billings
> <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
> > You know, the 25+ message thread of BS in the last 12 hours or so, once
> AGAIN, about people sleeping in the space may actually have something to do
> with the Death and Taxes thread and why NB cannot seem to get people to
> reliably give money to the space. Why give money to an organization that,
> even when it consenses on how it wants to be, where people will simply, in
> the name of anarchist principles, do whatever the hell they want to do in
> spite of consensus?
> >
> > Jake, some people don't want to talk to every person sleeping in order to
> find out *why* they are doing so. They simply want them not to do it, class
> distinctions or not. I find it amazingly stupid that y'all spent a month of
> arguing at great length about this recently and yet here it is again. Is it
> a hackerspace or a hippie crashpad, people?
>
> I am very interested in whether this is true or not. It's
> understandable to assume that this particular [drama] (or [drama] in
> general) and the [no money] are causally connected, because they
> happened simultaneously. I sort of assumed this myself (but was also
> sceptical, because Noisebridge The Place does not equal NB-discuss,
> NB-IRC or any other self-selecting subset of users. To test the
> hypothesis is partly what the poll is about (though right now I am
> just testing to see whether it is even true of NB-discuss).
>
> http://j.mp/noisepoll <-- click on the poll! DOOOO ITTTTT
>
> I can't speak to the poll results yet, but a casual look at the
> membership stats would indicate that the theory is more tentative than
> you'd think: as I said, the churn rate for members abdicating their
> membership is <5% p.a. over the three year life of NB, and that's
> really not that bad. This may go up as we track down more people who
> we have no records for payment, but right now the dominate
> explanations for non-payment are not "It's too full of people sleeping
> on sofas" and far more "I'm sorry, times are hard, can I go on
> hiatus?" and "What? I thought I *was* paying you guys! WTF?".
>
> Of course, people may also be being polite, or be slowly devaluing NB
> *because* they don't go there so often because of the atmospherics,
> which is indeed part of the reason why I started the poll, to see if I
> could tease out any subtler problems (and opportunities).
>
> We're all outliers to an extent, which is I think a feature of NB's
> desire for diversity and openness (and one of the reasons why, as
> Moxie says, it  feels less like a community
> and more like a public resource used by a bunch of communities). I
> think there's definitely a community of people who are worried about
> the knock-on effect of sleepers and the whole hippy crashpad thing.
> There's also a community of people who feel that the anarchic stance
> of NB makes up for these free-riding problems, and there's definitely
> [...]

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki