[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 07:30:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 19:01, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
> I agree that posting photos/names is a dick move, though.

  I am not sure why you (or so many others) see it that way. It
  seems harmless in itself, thought I can see how in certain
  circumstances it could be harmful. Discretion is advised.

> I am extremely uncomfortable with the use of ostracism as a
> social control tactic. I think all of us can think of why that
> is, upon reflection.

  I hope I speak for all members when I say ostracism is not
  acceptable at Noisebridge. However, mere censure is not
  ostracism. Ostracism is conscious and persistent harassment,
  exclusion and humiliation by the "in-group". Fabian is not
  orchestrating any such thing. He, individually and openly,
  called Patrick on his shit.

  Only a few people at NB these days would even be able to pull
  together the kind of manpower needed for an ostracism. Fabian
  is not one of them. However, public censure is available to
  anyone; through censure they may submit any injustice to the
  community for rectification, upbraiding the community and
  demanding it uphold its standards.

  Let all accusations of all persons at Noisebridge be made
  openly and to everyone, in the full light of day. If wrong is
  being done, we ought all to know; if someone is wrongly
  accused, we ought all to know. Public censure encourages
  moderation, honesty and accountability, bringing together
  community, accuser and accused to ensure the progress of
  justice.

--
Jason Dusek
Linux User #510144 | http://counter.li.org/