[Noisebridge-discuss] voting: approval vs condorcet

jim jim at well.com
Fri Dec 31 14:30:01 UTC 2010

   i'm not yet buying it.
   the point to consensus is to protect minorities from
having their interests stomped on by any particular
majority. blocking is a last-gasp mechanism to force
the entire group to listen to the minority needs and
address them.
   to block stubbornly without explaining the needs or
point of view (which happens), is irresponsible on the
part of the minority. seems a point of order should be
called to force a recalcitrant minority to make its
case.
   consensus is essentially agreement that no damage
will be done: "silence indicates assent."