[Noisebridge-discuss] [Fwd: Opportunity for Collaboration with Experimental Artist]

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:06:58 UTC 2010

In case anyone here is interested:

-------- Original Message --------

  From Robin at The Long Now Foundation:

Opportunity to work  with Misha
Glouberman<http://www.eyeweekly.com/arts/interview/a
<http://www.eyeweekly.com/arts/interview/article/44478>
who has been commissioned to create for the Oliver
Ranch<http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/spark/profile.jsp?essid=4914> in
September 02010.

If you or someone you know would like to get involved, feel free to have
them contact me (robin at longnow.org
<http://us.mc838.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=robin@longnow.org><mailto:robin at longnow.org

<http://us.mc838.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=robin@longnow.org>>).

     -------------------
      From Misha:

     Looking for people, leads and information for a series of
     participatory improv noise performances and workshops in the Bay
     Area this spring.

     In the spring of 2010 (around May) , I plan to be in the Bay Area
     for a few weeks, doing a series of workshops and performances around
     participatory noise improvisation.  I’ll be in town as part of my
     preparation for a series of these performances at Ann Hamilton’s
     Sound Tower at the Oliver Ranch in Sonoma, to take place in September.

     During the visit, I'm hoping to run a series of 6 or 8 workshops,
     ideally running two workshops a week, with a regular group of 15 or
     participants. I’d also like to a public performance or two, where I
     get a larger group (100 people or so) together for an evening to
     make noises together.

     There are some things I'm  hoping to find to help do this:

     - I’m looking for thoughts on possible spaces, for the workshop and
     for the performance(s).
     - I’m looking for organizations who might be interested in
     partnering on this work.
     - I’m trying to figure out how to get audience/participants for  the
     workshop series and participatory performance(s) in a city I don’t
     know so well.
     - I’m trying to find good affordable ideas for where to stay in the
     Bay Area for a few weeks in the spring,
     - I’m looking for someone who can help out with this work, as a
     local coordinator/assistant. Maybe a good opportunity for a recent
     graduate? The job will pay what could be considered either a pretty
     generous honorarium, or a horribly low hourly fee.

     (Bonus question: As a Canadian Citizen, I’m trying to figure out how
     to get all my working papers in order so I can do all this legally)

     Background: Terrible Noises for Beautiful People: Participatory
     noise/improv events

     “Terrible Noises for Beautiful People” is an event I run out of a
     semi-fictional institution called “The Misha Glouberman School of
     Learning”.

     The events happen in a variety of different structures and contexts:
     Sometimes in a workshop over the course of several weeks, sometimes
     in a single one-night event.

     In all the events: participants are guided through a series of
     improvisational structures in which they make sounds together. There
     are no “performers” apart from the audience –all the sounds are
     generated by the audience themselves, using their voices.

     Most of the exercises are social explorations and games that look at
     issues of how people relate to each other and how decisions are made
     in groups. The events tend to run a pretty wide gamut of moods –
     pretty crazy and chaotic at moments, quiet and contemplative at
     others. They’re generally really playful and engaging and a lot of
     fun. The audience/participants are generally not primarily musicians
     of performers (though there are usually some musicians).  I’m most
     excited about attracting people for whom doing something like this
     is a bit unfamiliar (though old hands are welcome, too).

     Links and other information:

     Terrible Noises for Beautiful People: My School of Learning web site
     has articles, photos, and videos, that give an idea of what some of
     the events are like:
     www.schooloflearning.org<http://www.schooloflearning.org/>

     The May events will be part of the leadup to some events in
     September at Ann Hamilton’s Sound Tower at the Oliver Ranch. The
     connection between the May and September events may be pretty loose
     but here are some related links about the Ranch and the Sound Tower:

     Ranch: http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/spark/profile.jsp?essid=4914
     Tower: http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/spark/profile.jsp?essid=18240

--
Sent from my ASR-33