[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking advice on using the makerbot.

Harry Pottash giblfiz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:50:02 UTC 2010

I have been using skeinforge to try to export gCode, and in general trying
to get my first object to print on the makerbot cupcake at noisebridge.
So far I have had little luck, probably because of my minimal comprehension
of what is going wrong.

My exported gCode has two core problems:
1) it has SLOW production times. A shot glass seems to consistently be
between 3 & 4 hours. in casual conversation someone mentioned that they had
done a whistle in 20 minutes, so I'm wondering why my models are so slow to
print.
2) The results are very sloppy / messy. To clarify, it seems that at the
beginning of the print run I'm getting way too much plastic laid down per
pass, and by a half an hour in I'm getting way too little.

Here are the settings I'm using. (well the ones that I have been playing
with, most of my settings have been left to default)

   - Carve: layer thickness .4 mm
   - Carve: Perimeter width over thickness 1.8
   - Fill: Extra shells on base layer 3
   - Fill : Extra shells on sparse layer 3
   - Fill : infill pattern - line
   - Speed: Feed rate setting 20
   - Speed: Flow rate setting 255
   - Raft: most Temperature settings at 225
   - Raft: Temperature of shape next layers 242 (default)

Lacking anything else I have been working off of the docs provided on this
page:
http://wiki.makerbot.com/configuring-skeinforge#toc4

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
-Harry