[Noisebridge-discuss] Presentation by Shapeways at NB?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:30:22 UTC 2010

At the UK Maker Faire last year, one of the cool people I met is Joris Peels, one of the two founders of Shapeways.  Shapeways is a company that does 3D printing to order (you send them your 3D file, and they print it out and mail it to you in way hi-res).

Joris emailed me saying he'll be in San Franciso on the 23rd and 24th, and he was wondering if people would be interested in him giving a presentation on 3D printing.  He knows his shit, and I think it would be a way informative talk.  Here's what he emailed me:

     "I'd like to speak a bit about the various 3D printing technologies (SLS, FDM, metal, DMLS, Objet etc.), compare and contrast them, tell people what the limitations and advantages are of the different materials. If people are interested I could also go into how to "design for 3D printing." I'd like to show people some of the 3D printing materials we have. It won't be salesy and will be useful even if people never ever use us. What I'd be interested to learn from the guys there is: when do you want a hackerspace, when a desktop 3D printer and when a service like Shapeways. What do they see as the advantages of each? Could they all be used concurently?"

Any interest?

Anything else going on at 6pm either of those days (Tuesday 23-Jan, or Wednesday 24-Jan)?  Any day preferable?

Mitch.