[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Feb 27 16:16:14 UTC 2010

Okay, so we've all spent the last four days twiddling our thumbs after
a fun filled meeting.

For those not at the meeting, here's a very brief review of what
happened, as there doesn't appear to be meeting notes posted anywhere:

 - Mitch was blocked from becoming ED.
 - Drama ensued as people argued about what the ED was, either
according to the bylaws, or how they viewed the role, which sometimes
differed.

We then all agreed on this plan:

That we would present a new candidate for ED on Tuesday, March 2.
That this would be a candidate who we all would approve on March 9, so
as to get this whole ordeal over with ASAP.
The idea was that we'd talk about candidates, and make sure that by
Tuesday, we'd have someone picked out who was willing, and none of us
hated.

So four days later, and not a word from anyone.  We're failing at this.

I also have a question that someone out there may know.
As is my understanding, being an officer of a corporation in
California is akin to being employed by that organisation (whether you
receive compensation or not).  Thus, there may be a requirement that
the ED be able to legally work in California.  Is this a valid
understanding?
If so, any candidate we submit must be able to legally work here.

So I encourage all of you to think of someone that you think would do
alright as ED, and talk to them.  Ask them to step forward and be a
candidate.  Please do it quickly!

Also, I'd like to remind people, that no person will be everyone's
favourite choice for the job.  Consensus is not about approving, but
specifically not disapproving.
In the interest of productivity, and unity, I would personally
encourage anyone who takes issue with any candidate to do the
following:
 - Talk to the person about your concerns.  See if they can be worked
out.  Ask others to help if you'd like.
 - Think to yourself whether you would be OK with them being ED, even
if you generally wouldn't want them to be.  If so, let your concerns
be known, but realise that if you are a minority voice, it may be wise
to yield to the will of the group.
 - If you have irreconcilable differences with a candidate becoming
ED, SPEAK UP.  QUICKLY.  Try talking to them, but please do not wait
until Tuesday to say so.

Jeffrey