[Noisebridge-discuss] Door bell

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Wed Feb 3 16:58:42 UTC 2010

> From: noisebridge-discuss-bounces at lists.noisebridge.net
> [mailto:noisebridge-discuss-bounces at lists.noisebridge.net] On
> Behalf Of David Stainton

> I've got to say that while I appreciate your enthusiasm in
> getting this doorbell problem solved...

:-) I like that David started with a compliment.

> Or how about a public-garbage-can that explodes when a
> certain number of Noisebridges [RFID tags] congregate near it?

Cool! Oh wait. Except for the exploding part. I guess that's why they call
technology a double edged sword instead of just a double sided coin.

RFID Radar (http://www.rfid-radar.com/) is a system that is in production.
It uses interferometry to simulaneously monitor hundreds of RFID tags at a
range of up to 100 yards and 0.5 meter accuracy. (actually, the accuracy
depends on your angle in relation to the directional antenna) It's a totally
cool idea. Well, except for the 'sploding part. We considered using
something like this to track the SWARM robots but it's a bit too directional
for our "roam around" model.

Lee