[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge.net SSL cert

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Feb 4 00:36:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 03:53:11PM -0800, Jason Dusek wrote:
> 2010/02/03 Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org>:
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:52:43AM -0800, Jason Dusek wrote:
> > > Noisebridge Ops could publish a certificate authority to add
> > > to our browsers/systems. Then Ops could issue more certs.
> >
> > ...don't think that by telling others that they should do
> > something that you're being useful.
>
>   Sorry -- I really didn't mean to put emphasis on ops doing it;
>   I was more interested in people's opinion of a CA. Seems they
>   don't want one.

Heh, I'm possibly a bit touchy about people saying "you should" or "ops
should" as if it's impossible for anyone but me to get things done
around here. :)

You gave me a chance to make an important point though -- ops isn't some
anointed cabal, it's the people who DO STUFF.  If you want to be ops,
ignore the people (including me if necessary!) who say "oh you shouldn't
do it that way, do it this other way" and just build a system.  Do it in
such a way that it has minimal impact on others -- taking up an entire
classroom for your ENIAC would be poor form; recording everyone in the
space would be super uncool; enrolling us in the world's biggest
rickroll botnet would be evil -- but just go out and do it.

That's how noisebridge.net came to be; that's how pony exists (I told
Rubin, repeatedly over the course of building the box, that he was doing
it wrong; he listened to me, took the good bits and ignored the
irrelevant bits, and we have a fileserver.  If he'd listened to me, the
system wouldn't exist.)  That's how the door buzzer system came to be.
Hell, that's how the kitchen came to be.

To quote a stupid ad campaign from far too long ago, "Just Do It".

-andy