[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Lending Library?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Feb 7 17:12:45 UTC 2010

"Not quite sure I understand this;:
----------------------------^^^^
JS: which "this"?

first "this":
"is there a license attached to donations?"
JS: NB is a 501(c)3 corporation. people can donate
stuff to NB, and (because NB is 501<>3) they can
claim a tax credit for the donation. But their
claims are subject to audit, and NB is bound to
use the donations or dispense of them in certain
ways, and NB is subject to inspection or audit
should there be some complaint.

second "this":
JS: i like anarchy because it reveals true dynamics:
governance suppresses some behaviors and favors
others (e.g. sex and marriage) based somewhat on
old traditions and beliefs that are to some extent
bogus. but the positive side of governance is
stability.
   for an anarchist group to be stable, it has to
explain and promote values, and it's a "the truth
shall make ye free" kind of thing: explanations that
truly reflect dynamics will tend to stick, and bogus
explanations (those that are based on ideals, which
can be like old beliefs--somewhat bogus, e.g. some
"politically correct" views) will tend to be ignored
and fade away.
   an "anarchist" group that allows absolutely any
behavior at all is, i think, mainly an excuse for
childish indulgence, which is inconsiderate of
others, i.e. non- or anti-excellent. that group is
likely to degroup because it allows too many
frustrations among its members.
   in the case of NB resources, some are obviously
for consumption and some are obviously not; i think
there are few in a gray area.
   for consumption: toilet paper, printer and
whiteboard supplies, electronic components, scrap
electronic devices and subsystems, screws, saw
blades, drill bits....
   not for consumption, but for community use: books,
electrical and painting and other infrastructure
supplies, whiteboards, appliances, test gear, network
and "house" computers....
   consume consumables and the community is richer:
people do things, get satisfaction, develop ideas....
   consume non-consumables and the community is
poorer: one person re-purposes the community printer
and that person gets a robot, perhaps non-functioning,
and the community loses a printer; one person takes
a book and that person gets a new surface for dust
bunnies while the community loses the book.

   i think the above is true. i suspect that reasons
for disliking the above include a selfish wish to do
something that is strong enough to obscure the
interests of others, kind of like wanting to get rich
may effectively deprive others of essentials.
   seems to me good to emphasize how each of us can
get good from non-consumables in a way that considers
others. in the case of books, make time to read them
on premises. in the case of printers, don't re-purpose
them until after they're broken.

   a PS: i've come to the conclusion that there is
only one crime, that of being inconsiderate. take the
"big three": theft, rape, and murder. they're
actually all theft in one sense, and they all have
legitimate counterpart behaviors: getting someone to
haul away stuff one no longer wants, rough sex, and
euthanasia. the legitimate variants are wished for;
the criminal variants are imposed without regard to
others' interests, i.e. non- or anti-excellent.