[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Lending Library?

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 07:03:38 UTC 2010

As much as i think it would be nice to lend out books jim has a point in
that there's not much accountability attached to anyone taking the books
from the space if we haven't a sufficient way to log who's taking them. I
think in the long run it would be good to figure out a system for allowing
short term rentals. maybe even with a few restrictions on some books like
how normal libraries don't let you take the encyclopedia volumes. A working
copier (do we have one?) would have to suffice for books we deem too
valuable to let it be loaned out.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Will Sargent <will.sargent at gmail.com> wrote:

>   People who donate things to noisebridge do so with
>> some sense of mission, and donors are part of the
>> noisebridge community whether or not they are members.
>> it is not excellent to disregard the intentions of
>> donors: at least we should understand the intent of the
>> donation before co-opting stuff for personal purposes.
>>

> Not quite sure I understand this; is there a license attached to donations?
>

>>   My point of view is that if reusing community
>> resources for one's own purpose deprives the rest of
>> the use, as is the case of missing books, that is
>> sufficiently unexcellent that we should not do that.
>>

>>   i consider myself sympathic to anarchistic ideals.
>

> I understand your concerns, and I hate lending books out of my personal
> library to people who never return them or "forget" they have them.
>
> I'm happy to put down books or cash / checks down of equal or greater value
> as collateral, and would even expect that.  Not to mention that losing a
> book would look pretty bad for me personally.
>
> Will.

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.